The Ghana Education Service (GES) has issued a statement with respect to the alleged non-payment of responsibility allowance by the service.
According to a press statement signed by the Deputy Director General in charge of management service GES, Mr. Anthony Boateng, regional directors and the teacher unions have brought it to the attention of the Management of Ghana Education Service that there are some complaints from a section of staff regarding non-payment of responsibility allowance.
However, for the avoidance of doubt, the service has laid down principles for the payment of allowance and they are as follows:
- The allowance is not a permanent emolument paid to all staff.
- The allowance is paid to only senior professional staff who are assigned to handle specific additional responsibilities.
The categories of staff who qualify for the allowance are:
- Basic School Head
- Assistant Headmaster/mistress
- Chaplain/ Imam
- Form master/Mistress
- Guidance and counseling coordinator
- Head of department (Programme Head)
According to the GES, as at September 30, 2020 Forty Thousand, Four Hundred and Sixty Nine (40,469) staff with additional responsibilities have been captured and paid.
The service is therefore calling on any staff who falls within the categories listed but has not been paid, the responsibility allowance should complete the template at the Regional and District offices for validation.