Home EDUCATION Teacher unions must help absorb the yet to be distributed laptop cost

Teacher unions must help absorb the yet to be distributed laptop cost

0
https://www.listengh.net
A classroom teacher

Teachers across Ghana are agitating that the various teacher unions must help absorb the 30% cost of laptops that are purported to be distributed by the government in the coming days. The government of Ghana will absorb 70% of the cost.

However, from Listengh.net’s observation, whereas few teachers can boast of having knowledge in ICT and possessing laptop computers, the majority do not own a laptop neither do they have fair knowledge in ICT.

Therefore, getting an opportunity to own a laptop as a teacher at GH₵465, spread for GH 38.75 per month for one year is a real privilege for many. This is better than going to buy one’s own laptop at a higher price. Besides, the laptops can be upgraded to suit personal operations apart from using them in the classroom.

READ:  Reduction of interest rate explained,GNAT, CCT-GH, NAGRAT, Et'al

For example, the 4 Gigabyte of Random-Access Memory (RAM) can be upgraded to 6 or 8 Gigabyte whereas the 500 Gigabyte of Read-Only Memory (ROM) can be replaced with either 1 terabyte of external hard drive or better change the 500GB to 1 terabyte.

The government has done well by absorbing the most part which is 70% (i.e., GH 1085).  According to teachers, the various unions must absorb the remaining 30% for their members. These teachers however believe that the unions only care about their own welfare and not its members.

READ:  GES PROMO 2021: Documents that shortlisted applicants must go with to the exam centre

“Why not throw this to them to test them if they really care about the members they claim to serve, after all, they make a whole bunch out of our dues”, a concerned teacher suggested.

Every teacher is however expecting the various unions involved-The Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT), Coalition of Concerned Teachers (CCT), and National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT) to release an official communique to that effect.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here